Snapshot copies enable system administrators and end users to perform important tasks in backup and recovery.
Snapshot copies enable system administrators to perform the following tasks:
- Create instantaneous backups
- Create a clone of a FlexVol volume
- Create a clone of a Data ONTAP LUN
For information about cloning a FlexVol volume, see the Clustered Data ONTAP Logical Storage Management Guide.
Snapshot copies enable end users to perform the following tasks:
- Recover older versions or sets of files that were accidentally changed or deleted
- Restore their own files without needing a system administrator to restore files from tape