When you create vFiler units in a SAN environment, note that only iSCSI is supported and FCP is not supported.
You must remember the following points when you create vFiler units in a SAN environment:
- SCSI LUNs and igroups are supported on all vFiler units managed separately for each vFiler unit.
- FC LUNs and igroups are not supported on vFiler unit.
FC LUNs and igroups are supported only on the hosting storage system.
- When you create a vFiler unit on a storage system on which iSCSI is licensed, the iSCSI service is automatically started on the vFiler unit.
Note: If iSCSI is licensed on the hosting storage system and the storage to be allocated to the vFiler unit contains LUNs, you should unmap the LUNs.
For more information about LUNs, see the Data ONTAP SAN Administration Guide for 7-Mode.
- Starting a vFiler unit starts iSCSI packet processing for that vFiler unit.
- Stopping a vFiler unit stops iSCSI packet processing for that vFiler unit.