You can move storage resources such as volumes and qtrees from one vFiler unit to another. When you move the storage resources to another vFiler unit, the ownership of the volume, qtree, and data changes.
Before you begin
- If a storage unit you want to move from one vFiler unit to another contains LUNs, you must have unmapped the LUNs.
For more information about unmapping the LUNs, see the Data ONTAP SAN Administration Guide for 7-Mode.
- You must have stopped the FlexClone file and FlexClone LUN operations on the storage unit from the nondefault vFiler context.
For more information about FlexClone file and FlexClone LUN operations, see the Data ONTAP Storage Management Guide for 7-Mode.
- You must have disabled the SnapVault technology on the source vFiler unit.
For more information about the SnapVault technology, see the Data ONTAP Data Protection Online Backup and Recovery Guide for 7-Mode.
About this task
- You can only move resources between vFiler units on the same node in an HA pair.
- After you move a storage unit from one vFiler unit to another, the security information associated with the files in the storage unit is retained.
As a result, users might be unable to access files properly.
- If you reassign a volume from one vFiler unit to another, Data ONTAP turns off quotas for the volume.
After the volume is moved, you can turn quotas on again for the volume from the destination vFiler unit.
- If you reassign a qtree from one vFiler unit to another, Data ONTAP turns off quotas for the volume containing the qtree on both the source vFiler unit and the destination vFiler unit.
After the qtree is moved, you can turn on the quotas again for the volume.
- When resources are being moved, all the network connections to those resources are terminated.
- To move the resources between vFiler units, enter the following command:
vfiler move source_vfiler destination_vfiler [ -f ] [ -i ip_address [ -i ip_address ] ...] [ path [ path ... ] ]
You can use the -f option to skip warning messages.
The following command moves an IP address and a volume from one vFiler unit to another:
vfiler move vfiler1 vfiler2 -i 18.104.22.168 /vol/vol3