You can run deduplication only on the active file system. However, this data can get locked in Snapshot copies created before you run deduplication, resulting in reduced space savings.
To avoid conflicts between deduplication and Snapshot copies, you should follow these guidelines:
- Run deduplication before creating new Snapshot copies.
- Remove unnecessary Snapshot copies stored in deduplicated volumes.
- Reduce the retention time of Snapshot copies stored in deduplicated volumes.
- Schedule deduplication only after significant new data has been written to the volume.
- Configure appropriate reserve space for the Snapshot copies.
- If snap reserve is 0, you should turn off the schedule for automatic creation of Snapshot copies (which is the case in most LUN deployments).