You can increase the available storage by using the Add Storage Wizard to add FlexVols to an existing VVOL datastore.
About this task
When you add a FlexVol, you also have the option of changing the storage capability profile associated with that FlexVol.
You can either use the VASA Provider auto-generate feature to create a new profile or assign one of the existing profiles to it.
- On the vSphere Web Client Home page, click Hosts and Clusters.
- Right-click the datastore and select .
- Complete the pages in the Add Storage wizard;
you can either add an existing FlexVol to the VVOL datastore or create a new FlexVol to add to the database.
: All FlexVols in a VVOL datastore must be from the same Storage Virtual Machine (SVM, formerly known as Vserver)
- Storage Type page: Select the FlexVols that you want to add to the VVOL datastore.
In the Storage Capability Profile column, use the drop-down list to either create a new profile based on the FlexVol or select one of the existing profiles.
The auto-generate feature, which is first option in the drop-down list, creates a profile based the storage capabilities, such as disk type, high availability, disaster recovery, performance features, and deduplication, that are associated with that FlexVol.
- Provision FlexVol page: Create new FlexVols by clicking the Add button and filling out the information for the new FlexVol. If the storage capability profile does not have the auto grow feature enabled, you will not be able to set any values for it. Instead, that section of the dialog box will be disabled.
After you create a new FlexVol, you can edit it by selecting the Modify button. You can also delete it.
- Ready to complete page: Review the information you have supplied for the VVOL datastore. If it is correct,
If the information is not right, return to the appropriate page and correct it.
- Click Finish.
The wizard adds the storage you have specified to the VVOL datastore. It displays a success message when it finishes.
Note: The wizard automatically handles any ESXi storage rescans or any other significant operations that are required. Since a VVOL datastore is a logical entity controlled by the VASA Provider, adding the FlexVol is the only thing you need to do to enlarge your storage container.