You can use System Manager to configure CIFS and NFS protocols on the Storage Virtual Machine (SVM) to provide file-level data access for NAS clients. To enable CIFS protocol, you must create the data LIFs and the CIFS server. To enable NFS protocol, you can specify the NIS details and the data LIFs.
- If you have not configured the protocols while creating the SVM, expand the Storage Virtual Machines hierarchy, select the SVM in the navigation pane, and then click the protocol you want to configure.
- In the Data LIF Configuration section, specify the network details to create data LIFs.
You can either retain the same data LIF configuration for both CIFS and NFS or configure a new LIF for each protocol.
- Specify the IP address by choosing one of the following:
- Select the subnet from which the IP address will be assigned automatically to the interface.
- Select Use a specific IP Address and type the IP address.
The IP address you specify will be added to the subnet if it is not already present in the subnet range.
- Specify a port to create a data LIF:
- Click Browse.
- In the Select Network Port or Adapter dialog box, select a port.
- Click OK.
- Configure the CIFS server by performing the following operations:
- Specify the following information to create a CIFS server:
- Optional: Select Encrypt Data while accessing all shares of this SVM to enable SMB 3.0 encryption for all the shares of the SVM.
- Provision a volume for CIFS storage when configuring the protocol by providing the share name, size of the share, and access permissions.
- Optional: Select Encrypt Data while accessing this share to enable SMB 3.0 encryption for a particular share.
- Optional: Configure the NIS services by performing the following operations:
- Specify the IP addresses of the NIS servers and NIS domain name to configure NIS services on the SVM.
- Select the appropriate database type for which you want to add
the "nis" name service source.
- Provision a volume for NFS storage by specifying export name, size, and permission.
- Click Submit & Continue.
The CIFS server and NIS domain are configured with the specified configuration, and data LIFs are created. By default, the data LIFs have management access. You can view the configuration details on the Summary page.