You can use System Manager to create fully
configured Storage Virtual Machines (SVMs) that can serve data immediately. A cluster can have one or more SVMs with FlexVol volumes and SVMs with Infinite Volume.
Before you begin
- The cluster must have at least one non-root aggregate in the online state.
- The aggregate must have sufficient space for the SVM root volume.
- You must have synchronized the time across the cluster by configuring and enabling NTP to prevent CIFS creation and authentication failures.
- Protocols that you want to configure on the SVM must be licensed.
- You must have created a subnet with a pool of available IP addresses from which an IP address can be assigned to the data LIF.
- You must have configured the CIFS protocol for secure DDNS to work.
- Expand the Storage Virtual Machines hierarchy in the left navigation pane.
- In the navigation pane, select the cluster.
- Click Create.
- In the Storage Virtual Machine (SVM) Setup window, specify the details such as the following:
- SVM name
- IPspace allocated to the SVM
- Volume type allowed
- Protocols allowed
- SVM language
- Security style of the root volume
- Root aggregate
The default language setting for any SVM is C.UTF-8.
By default, the aggregate with the maximum free space is selected as the container for root volume of the SVM
. Based on the protocols selected, the default security style and the root aggregate are selected.
The security style is set to NTFS if you select CIFS protocol or a combination of CIFS protocol with the other protocols. The security style is set to UNIX if you select NFS, iSCSI, or FC/FCoE or a combination of these protocols.
In a MetroCluster configuration, only the aggregates that are contained in the cluster are displayed.
- Specify the DNS domain names and the name
server IP addresses to configure the DNS services.
The default values are selected from the existing SVM configurations.
- Optional: When configuring a data LIF to access data using a protocol, specify the target alias, subnets, and the number of LIFs per node details.
You can select the Review or Modify LIFs configuration (Advanced Settings) check box to modify the number of portsets in the LIF.
You can edit the details of the portset in a particular node by selecting the node from the nodes list in the details area.
- Optional: Enable host-side applications such as SnapDrive and SnapManager for the SVM administrator by providing the SVM credentials.
- Optional: Create a new LIF for SVM management by clicking Create a new LIF for SVM management, and then specify the portsets and subnets for the new management LIF.
For CIFS and NFS protocols, data LIFs have management access by default. You must create a new management LIF only if required. For iSCSI and FC protocols, a dedicated SVM management LIF is required because data and management protocols cannot share the same LIF.
- Click Submit & Continue.
The SVM is created with the specified configuration.
that you created is started automatically. The root volume name is automatically generated as SVM name_root
. By default, the vsadmin
user account is created and is in the locked state.
After you finish
- You must configure at least one protocol on the SVM to allow data access.
- After you create an SVM with Infinite Volume, you must create an Infinite Volume for the SVM.