You can use System Manager to enable storage efficiency and configure deduplication and data compression or only deduplication on a volume to save storage space. If you have not enabled storage efficiency when you created the volume, you can do so later by editing the volume.
Before you begin
- The volume must be online.
- If you want to use a policy-based deduplication schedule, you must have created an efficiency policy.
- Expand the Storage Virtual Machines hierarchy in the left navigation pane.
- In the navigation pane, select the Storage Virtual Machine (SVM), and then click .
- Select the volume for which you want to enable storage efficiency, and then click Edit.
- In the Edit Volume dialog box, click Storage Efficiency.
- Select the Enable Storage Efficiency check box.
- Select one of the following methods to run deduplication:
|If you want to run deduplication...
|Based on a storage efficiency policy
- Ensure that the Policy based option is selected.
- Click Choose to select a storage efficiency policy.
- Click OK.
||Select the On-demand option.
- Optional: Select the Enable Compression check box to enable background compression.
You cannot enable background compression for a volume contained by an aggregate with the All Flash Optimized personality.
- Optional: Select the Compress Inline check box to compress data while it is being written to the volume.
- Click Save and Close.