You can move a volume SnapMirror source volume to another source volume.
Before you begin
Ensure that the Data ONTAP
release on the destination system is from a release family that is the same as, or later than, the Data ONTAP
release on the new source system.
About this task
The following terms are used in the task description for moving volume SnapMirror
- oldsource—The original system on which the source resides.
- newsource—The system to which you are moving the source.
- destination—The system to which the source is replicated.
- oldsourcevol—The original source volume.
- newsourcevol—The new source volume to which you are moving.
- destinationvol—The volume to which the source is replicated.
- Copy the original source to the new source using the following command: newsource> snapmirror initialize -S oldsource:oldsourcevol newsource:newsourcevol
Note: This might take some time to finish.
- You should make oldsource read-only before continuing.
- Create a manual Snapshot copy on the oldsource system by using the following command: oldsource> snap create oldsourcevol common_Snapshot
- Update newsource and destination based on oldsource using the following commands. newsource> snapmirror update -S oldsource:oldsourcevol newsource:newsourcevoldestination> snapmirror update -S oldsource:oldsourcevol destination:destinationvol
Note: The common_Snapshot Snapshot copy is on all volumes because all Snapshot copies are mirrored using volume SnapMirror.
- Quiesce and break the SnapMirror relationship between oldsource and destination, and oldsource and newsource by using the following commands. destination> snapmirror quiesce destinationvoldestination> snapmirror break destinationvolnewsource> snapmirror quiesce newsourcevolnewsource> snapmirror break newsourcevol
- Using an editor, update the /etc/snapmirror.conf file on the destination for the new relationship by replacing the oldsource information with newsource information.
Before editoldsource:oldsourcevol destination:destinationvol restart=always 0 * * * *
After editnewsource:newsourcevol destination:destinationvol restart=always 0 * * * *
- Establish the new SnapMirror relationship by using the following command:destination> snapmirror resync -S newsource:newsourcevol destination:destinationvol
Note: The SnapMirror relationship discards any Snapshot copies older than common_Snapshot: namely, the ones used for the last SnapMirror update. This is expected and no data is lost if you ensure that no new data was added to the original source volume during the move.
The new SnapMirror relationship automatically picks the newest Snapshot copy in common to mirror. This is the common_Snapshot Snapshot copy.
- Verify that the SnapMirror relationship is resynchronizing by using the following command:destination> snapmirror status