The SnapVault disk-based backup and restore system enables you to perform fast and simple data restore operations.
You can also perform the following operations:
- Browse backed-up files online.
- Schedule frequent and efficient backup of large amounts of data.
- Minimize media consumption and system overhead through incremental backup.
- If tape backup is necessary, offload the tape backup task from the primary storage systems to the SnapVault secondary storage system, which centralizes the operation and saves resources.
- Configure and maintain a single storage system for backing up data stored on multiple platforms: Data ONTAP, AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux, Windows, or VMware ESX server systems.
Note: SnapVault behavior is independent of the Data ONTAP version that is installed on the primary or secondary system, and the aggregate type. For example, you can back up data from a primary system that has Data ONTAP 7.3 installed to a secondary system that has Data ONTAP 7.1 installed. You can also back up data from a primary system that has Data ONTAP 7.1 installed to a secondary system that has Data ONTAP 7.3 installed.