Ways to determine whether a disaster occurred
You should declare a disaster only after using predefined procedures to verify that service cannot be restored.
It is critical that you follow a predefined procedure to confirm that a disaster occurred. The procedure should include determining the status of the disaster site by:
- Using external interfaces to the storage system, such as the following:
- ping command to verify network connectivity
- Remote shell
- FilerView administration tool
- Using network management tools to verify connectivity to the disaster site
- Physically inspecting the disaster site, if possible
You should declare a disaster only after verifying that service cannot be restored.