Adding DS14mk2 or DS14mk4 disk shelves to a multipath HA loop
To add supported DS14mk2 or DS14mk4 disk shelves to an HA pair configured for multipath HA, you must add the new disk shelf to the end of a loop, ensuring that it is connected to the previous disk shelf and to the controller.
This procedure does not apply to SAS disk shelves.
Confirm that there are two paths to every disk by entering the following command: storage show disk -p
Note: If two paths are not listed for every disk, this procedure could result in a data service outage. Before proceeding, address any issues so that all paths are redundant. If you do not have redundant paths to every disk, you can use the nondisruptive upgrade method (failover) to add your storage.
- Install the new disk shelf in your cabinet or equipment rack, as described in the DiskShelf14mk2 and DiskShelf14mk4 FC, or DiskShelf14mk2 AT Hardware Service Guide.
Find the last disk shelf in the loop to which you want to add the new disk shelf.
The Channel A Output port of the last disk shelf in the loop is connected back to one of the controllers.
Note: In Step 4 you disconnect the cable from the disk shelf. When you do this, the system displays messages about adapter resets and eventually indicates that the loop is down. These messages are normal within the context of this procedure. However, to avoid them, you can optionally disable the adapter prior to disconnecting the disk shelf.
If you choose to, disable the adapter attached to the Channel A Output port of the last disk shelf by entering the following command: fcadmin config -d adapter
adapter identifies the adapter by name. For example: 0a.
Disconnect the SFP and cable coming from the Channel A Output port of the last disk shelf.
Note: Leave the other ends of the cable connected to the controller.
- Using the correct cable for a shelf-to-shelf connection, connect the Channel A Output port of the last disk shelf to the Channel A Input port of the new disk shelf.
- Connect the cable and SFP you removed in Step 4 to the Channel A Output port of the new disk shelf.
- If you disabled the adapter in Step 3, reenable the adapter by entering the following command: fcadmin config -e adapter
Repeat Step 4 through Step 7 for Channel B.
Note: The Channel B Output port is connected to the other controller.
- Confirm that there are two paths to every disk by entering the following command: storage show disk -p Two paths should be listed for every disk.