When you assign ownership for disks, you need to follow certain guidelines to keep automatic ownership assignment working and to maximize fault isolation.
Use these guidelines for configuring automatic disk ownership at the stack or loop level:
- Always assign all disks on the same loop or stack to the same system and pool.
- Always assign all loops or stacks connected to the same adapter to the same pool.
- For HA configurations using SyncMirror, pool0 is typically assigned to the local pool and pool1 is assigned to the remote pool.
- Always assign disks in the same multi-disk carrier to the same system.
Note: On storage system models that support only one loop or stack, you can configure your system to have both pools on a single loop or stack. Automatic assignment at the stack or loop level does not work, but automatic assignment at the shelf level works for this configuration.
Use these guidelines for configuring automatic disk ownership at the shelf level:
- Always assign all disks on the same shelf to the same system and pool.
- On storage systems that contain two controllers but only a single stack, if the stack contains more than one shelf, you can use shelf-level assignment.
For more information about configuring SyncMirror with disks or array LUNs, see the
Data ONTAP Data Protection Online Backup and Recovery Guide for 7-Mode.
For the guidelines for assigning disk ownership in a MetroCluster configuration, see the Data ONTAP High Availability and MetroCluster Configuration Guide for 7-Mode.