The snap connect procedure is valid for Data ONTAP 7.2 or later and explain the steps for snap connect operation.
The following steps depict the snap connect procedure:
- SnapDrive for UNIX obtains the file spec name and the Snapshot name from the snap connect CLI. It then finds out the original storage system volume(s) where the snapshot(s) resides.
- SnapDrive for UNIX chooses an appropriate cloning method for storage system entities based on CLI configuration options.
Note: If the CLI option is specified, it always overrides the snapdrive.conf file option.
- If -clone lunclone option is specified in the CLI or the san-clone-method=lunclone option in the snapdrive.conf file, then SnapDrive for UNIX creates a LUN clone in the same volume from the given snapshot.
- If -clone unrestricted option is specified in the CLI or the san-clone-method=unrestricted option in the snapdrive.conf file, then SnapDrive for UNIX creates or reuses all-purpose FlexClone from the given Snapshot.
- If -clone optimal option is specified in the CLI or the san-clone-method=optimal option in the snapdrive.conf file, then SnapDrive for UNIX automatically chooses between restricted FlexClone and LUN clone, based on storage system configuration.
Note: By default, clones created by SnapDrive for UNIX are backup clones.